Monday, November 16, 2009

On the Road to Recovery

I sit here with my glass of wine as I write this. Don wrapped up my swollen knee in ice and my toe is in question. Broken? Who knows. I biked into Asticou today for a course. Beautiful, sunny day. I was turning and my bike slid out from under me. Black ice. Man, it hurt. I got myself up slowly. I then had to stand there for at least 10 minutes before I could move and not groan too loudly. But I digress from the star of the this blog, Mr. Lou.

Poor Lou. He had been licking himself almost since the day he came back from surgery. It had only become worse. Last night, I let him upstairs but no one got any sleep. He would lie down for 2 minutes, up and down, lick and up and to another room. All night. His scrotum was red and enlarged. I would think that had been going on for awhile. As much as I didn't want to do it, I took him to my Dr. Murray. Mr. Lou was so stressed with this infection already and his last experience at the vets was less than agreeable.

When Dr. Murray was ready, I put the muzzle on Lou and into the vets we went. I opened the room door for Don and Lou and shut it behind them. I didn't want to face what might happen. It would have been all too reminiscent of Ben. And, after the seemingly horrid experience at the neutering vet, I was very worried. I heard some scratching on the door and then it stopped. Muffled voices. Mmmm. Jenna opened the door and said it was okay. I walked in and there was Mr. Lou on the table. He wagged his tail in greeting. My boy was being so good. I was so pleased. Dr. Murray loved him up, too. As MA said, he will always need one of us to be with him for the visits and that is fine with us.

It turns out his scrotum is very badly infected so he is now on antibiotics and Metacam for the inflammation. Dr. Murray gave him an inflammatory shot in the office so Mr. Lou would get some quicker relief. He was such a good boy. He only growled once and that was that. I love my Mr. Lou and Don has been incredible with the boy.

Mr. Lou should get some relief soon and be able to relax again. He had a wonderful experience at my vet's and I think we're going to be okay.

We had guests over for dinner Sunday. Mr. Lou was fine with Renée but growled and barked at Ed. I think Mr. Lou has just been feeling so awful since surgery that he is beside himself. He hasn't been able to relax or enjoy life and has been very stressed. In a couple of days, he should be feeling better.

Soon, he'll be back to normal. They start work on the fence tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. We wish Lou(p) a very well recovery. It sounds as if he will be OK, physicaly and mentally.
    You are doing a very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maud. He is a sweet, good boy with a history, of course. Every rescue has one. With the support of my Pyr friends and trainer, he will be fine.

    I see Noor is doing well, too. I remember those pool days with Clara. Panic and flailing and then panic and then calm. Who knows? Maybe Noor will get to like swimming!! She is in good hands. I love that head shot of her in your previous photos. You probably know the one I mean because it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I changed the profile picture. Is that the one?
    Noor went swimming again and she was so much calmer now. I made a movie but still need to put it on the website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. That's the one. I look foward to the movie!

    ReplyDelete