Thursday, November 12, 2009

Oh, Mr. Lou

We decided to have little Mr. Lou neutered. Things were fine until he went crazy over the mailman and then went into the house to mark his territory. He peed on our newly reupholstered chair and hence, the new silk carpet, too.

This led to the visit to a different vet (price was right through the rescue) to have this procedure done. Only our Mr. Cutiepants bit the vet tech. I received the call from Roz who was extremely upset. She knew our history with Ben but she also knew she could no longer place him except with MA or me. All three of us were pretty upset. I also called Lynn from Dogs in Harmony for advice. She asked me questions and in the end determined that Lou did not sound like a bad dog, just a scared dog. The vet tech handled him improperly yet she knew his history. Lou did give warning signs.

Lou is not Ben, though. We can cuddle with Lou, step over Mr. Lou, take him for a walk, reach for his collar, pick up his leash, pull a hair the wrong way, tell him to leave the kitchen and not live in fear he will bite. Not so far, anyway. I called Don to tell him what happened. He couldn’t figure out the problem as he asked what other option I was talking about. Euthanasia, I said. Well, Don being Don, that wasn’t even on the radar.

If you go to Ben’s blog http://bentrickster.blogspot.com/, you’ll see that Don kept saving Ben even though he was the one being bitten. I wanted to euthanize him in just about every entry. That’s probably because I was the one working so hard with him and could see that life with Ben was one of walking on eggshells. It really wasn’t fun. But Lou has been so much fun, except for the the occasional person in the dark and the mailman but we aren't afraid of him. As my friend Carol says, 'So many dogs have an aversion to men in uniforms. I have never been able to fathom this as quite frankly they turn me on...' . We’re careful because we’re still earning each other’s trust and MA has reminded me how important this is and not to rush into anything with him.

I spoke with the clinic and got some of the scoop. Vet tech rubbed his tummy and then sat beside him as the vet approached him. Let me say here that they knew his history as the vet tech reminded me. Update: They put him in kennel, no bad behaviour. He was happy enough. Took him out to sedate, he growled, they put muzzle on. Put him back in cage, took muzzle off. Took him back out to give general anaestetic. They went to go near chest. He went ballistic. Lunging at tech, knocking her to the ground. The tech was bitten at this point. I'm told he didn't try to get away from needle but rather just went for the tech. One puncture, no redness around the bite that I could see. From what I have read so far, it’s not uncommon that dogs don’t like being at the vets and will bite. Precautions should be taken but then I’m not the expert.

This vet tech should find a new vocation. She had me extremely upset as she reminded me of his history again and no, it wasn’t just that he had bitten the policeman, but had been protective of SPCA staff and done other growling. Pyrs are bred to guard, you know, she said to me. Yes, thank you. I have had Pyrs before. Roll of my eyes later.

She also told me that he had heart eurythmia, therefore, he shouldn’t have had anaesthetic because this would cause brain damage but Roz gave the go ahead. Roz already knew he didn’t have heart problems but apparently the vet tech is deaf.

I suggested his heart was faster than normal because he was stressed and panicked. Oh, maybe but he has eurythmia.

She continued on her rant to tell me he should never be off leash. He can’t be trusted. She didn’t have one good thing to say. And she wasn’t going to check on him after surgery because he bit her. So, that’s fine. She then had me afraid to even take him out of the cage. She left the room and watched through the window. I called Lou’s name and his very red eyes looked at me in a drugged stupor. I opened the door and kept calling his name. He then started to wag his tail. I took the leash, he got up, tail wagging, and I changed to his leash and went outside where he jumped into the car.

I left thinking I would have to put him down. I soon realized this vet tech has neither compassion nor understanding for animals or people. Why is she in that job? If I lived where they are and they were the only clinic, I would drive to my clinic in Ottawa. That was a terrible experience for me so I can only imagine what it was like for Lou.

On the brighter side, I got my two dog beds to match the décor. I think Trickster will be pleased with his bed with the back on it and the new one upstairs. Hallowe’en toys were 75% off at Petsmart so I got Mr. Loup a pumpkin toy. He loves it. MA sent me the photos of him and Maeve in their costumes when he was with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment